[mythtvnz] Copy tv program

McVicker, Brian (NZ - Auckland) bmcvicker at deloitte.co.nz
Thu Sep 29 19:42:11 BST 2011

MythArchive does a brilliant job of this too. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythArchive

Just point it to where you want it to put the files/s and it'll copy them across without having to dig around through the actual filenames. It doesn't have to create a DVD etc, it can just copy files.

Much simpler...I know because I recently converted to this method after previously writing down file names, rummaging through the hundreds of recordings we have that we just don't get a chance to watch, and copying across a bunch of files by hand.
It will create a folder in the destination (named after the program) and put in the file, screenshot and xml (index?) for if you want to bring it back. The file itself doesn't get renamed though, but if your only moving a couple of files it's not a biggie. You could even have your other box pick this up directly as an archive restoration with its own copy of  MythTV...but then you could just as easily run it as another frontend for the same effect.

You could also try transcoding the files before you watch them. I know it's a messy extra step, and best left to run overnight, but it's one other option and the CPU speed etc won't matter so much for playback.

And yes jerky video is most likely CPU. My box couldn't handle the load but when I put in a video card with VDPAU support it made all the difference in the world.

Brian