[mythtvnz] Copy tv program

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Sep 29 13:39:11 BST 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 22:05:48 +1300, you wrote:

>On 09/29/2011 09:42 PM, Curtis Walker wrote:
>> What folder(s) do you have setup as your LiveTV or Recording location
>> in mythbackend?
>>
>> Simply navigate to that folder, find the video file in question & copy
>> it onto an appropriately-sized USB stick. The beauty of mythtv is that
>> it saves files in a user-defined location, in an open format, and free
>> from DRM - just so you can move 'em about at will!
>>
>> On 29 September 2011 21:31, Mallett <mallett at actrix.co.nz> wrote:
>
>/var/lib/mythtv/recordings$
>Thank you

And you can find the file name for any program by navigating to it
under the Watch Recordings menu, then using the I key on the keyboard
twice to display the full Program Details screen.  The file name is
under the Recorded File Name heading, and should look something like
this:

  1003_20100526231400.mpg

The I command is also usually attached the I or Info button on your
remote control.

Really jerky playback normally means that you are trying to get the
CPU to do all the work of displaying the video, rather than your video
card doing it using hardware acceleration.  What sort of recordings do
you have?  DVB-S ones can be played back OK by a good CPU only, but
DVB-T ones never work unless you have a very expensive CPU - greater
than 3 GHz dual core is required, and I have never heard of anyone who
got completely jerk free playback that way.  So you really need an
appropriate Nvidia GPU and the Nvidia VDPAU drivers installed and
being used by MythTV.

If you copy the recordings to another PC, the same rules apply - it
needs to be using hardware accelerated drivers for the video card,
although a Windows box will be able to use other hardware than just
Nvidia as it has accelerated drivers for most cards with the necessary
accelerated hardware.  Even on Windows though, it is possible to not
have the accelerated drivers installed, or for the playback software
to not be using them, and you will then still get jerky playback.