[mythtvnz] Simple Script For Pulling EPG into MythTV

Roger Searle roger.searle at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:13:14 BST 2011

On 21/09/11 22:08, Curtis Walker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a noob, but here is a very simple shell script for pulling NZ EPG
> data (8 days' worth) into your MythTV backend.
>
> Apologies to all if this is telling you how to suck eggs, but the
> various other methods on geekzone and this mailing list either seemed
> a) complicated or b) didn't work for me (tv_grab_nz-py and Myth on my
> setup didn't work properly - possibly something to do with Arch linux
> running Python 3).
>
> As you can see, this script will download the freeview.xml.gz file
> from nzepg.org, unzip it, install it into Myth's backend, then clean
> up. Running it as a cron task daily at 3am, you never need be without
> an up-to-date EPG!
>
> *#! /bin/bash
> wget http://nzepg.org/freeview.xml.gz
> gunzip freeview.xml.gz
> mythfilldatabase --file 1 freeview.xml --update
> rm freeview.xml
> exit
> *
Thanks Curtis, nice timing for me as my first batch of data had nearly
expired and I wasn't clear why mythtv itself wouldn't update it for me.
I've got another 8 days' worth again, using these lines.

While I could of course run this via cron, I'm interested to discover
what needs to be done to have mythtv doing it for me, as I understood
that was supposed to happen. I have

Channel Frequency Table = New Zealand
mythfilldatabase run frequency (days) = 1
mythfilldatabase execution start = 2
mythfilldatabase execution stop = 5
Run mythfilldatabase at time suggested by the grabber = yes
Video source setup listings grabber = New Zealand (py) (xmltv)

Yet the EPG data was on it's last day.  What have I missed?

Cheers,
Roger