[mythtvnz] Simple Script For Pulling EPG into MythTV

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Wed Sep 21 12:21:59 BST 2011

>   <head>

> charset=ISO-8859-1">
>   </head>
>       I'm a noob, but here is a very simple shell script for pulling NZ
>       EPG data (8 days' worth) into your MythTV backend. <br>
>       Apologies to all if this is telling you how to suck eggs, but the
>       various other methods on geekzone and this mailing list either
>       seemed a) complicated or b) didn't work for me (tv_grab_nz-py and
>       Myth on my setup didn't work properly - possibly something to do
>       with Arch linux running Python 3).<br>
>       As you can see, this script will download the freeview.xml.gz file
>       from nzepg.org, unzip it, install it into Myth's backend, then
>       clean up. Running it as a cron task daily at 3am, you never need
>       be without an up-to-date EPG!<br>
>       <b>#! /bin/bash<br>
>         wget <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
> href="http://nzepg.org/freeview.xml.gz">http://nzepg.org/freeview.xml.gz</a><br>
>         gunzip freeview.xml.gz<br>
>         mythfilldatabase --file 1 freeview.xml --update<br>
>         rm freeview.xml<br>
>         exit<br>
>       </b></font>

Netequette rule number 1
 Never post to a mailing list/reflector using HTML - yuck...

Meanwhile, more useful than saying that something doesn't work would be
top detail the error message(s). I have found a problem with tv_grab_nz-py
in python 2.7 for example and its likely the same fix applies with version
3.

I guess you only have one source from the command line you quote above -
have you looked at making the script work correctly for those people with
several sources (analog, DVB-T, DVB-S, STB etc). Just a thought!

--
Robin Gilks