[mythtvnz] local and master backend settings

Roger Searle roger.searle at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 20:25:37 BST 2011

On 18/09/2011 7:09 p.m., Roger Searle wrote:
>>> I can probably answer that - the Frontend needs to know where to go to
>>> connect to the Backend, Frontend needs to know Backend's IP
>>> address...does that help?  (Sending the Frontend to itself using
>>> 127.0.0.1 is going to fail cause its not the backend!)
>>>
>> I may have not been clear in what I was setting, I was referring to the
>> local and master server IP addresses as set on the backend.  The
>> defaults are as per this:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Backend#Host_Address_Backend_Setup
>>
>> Anyway, I've now got it set with the static IP address of the box, given
>> I intend having a separate front end at some point...
> I'm running a combined FE/BE on the same box and using the loopback
> address 127.0.0.1 for both MasterServerIP and BackendServerIP works fine
> as you would expect it to for FE and BE on the _same_ machine.
>
> I suspect Roger's problem using the loopback address might have been in
> the FE config, not the BE config.
Such was my learning curve (I'm still in week 1 using mythtv) I didn't
even realise then that there was also such a setting in the FE.  It is
currently 127.0.0.1.  Given things work now I'm reluctant to mess with
it, though this seems simple enough to try.  Still, for what ever
reason, when BE Master and Backend were both 127.0.0.1, was no go.  I
suspect I would have seen something different in mysql had I looked in
the settings table.  Before I needed to go there, and with the box's
static address set in the BE, it's operational again.