[mythtvnz] local and master backend settings

David Shepherd david at daveshep.net.nz
Mon Sep 19 04:48:58 BST 2011

> On 18/09/11 22:46, Roger Searle wrote:
>>> I can probably answer that - the Frontend needs to know where to go to
>>> connect to the Backend, Frontend needs to know Backend's IP
>>> address...does that help?  (Sending the Frontend to itself using
>>> 127.0.0.1 is going to fail cause its not the backend!)
>>>
>> I may have not been clear in what I was setting, I was referring to the
>> local and master server IP addresses as set on the backend.  The
>> defaults are as per this:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Backend#Host_Address_Backend_Setup
>>
>> Anyway, I've now got it set with the static IP address of the box, given
>> I intend having a separate front end at some point...
>
> I'm running a combined FE/BE on the same box and using the loopback
> address 127.0.0.1 for both MasterServerIP and BackendServerIP works fine
> as you would expect it to for FE and BE on the _same_ machine.
>
> I suspect Roger's problem using the loopback address might have been in
> the FE config, not the BE config.

I've got a combined FE/BE and two remote FEs.  The FE/BE has a fixed IP
address which I enter in both fields in the backend.  And I've found I've
got to set it the frontend also.  You could also check the config files in
the ~/.mythtv directory, ones a .txt and ones a .xml file (sorry not in
front of system so can't be more specific)