[mythtvnz] configuring hvr-2200 card

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Sat Sep 17 01:59:04 BST 2011

On 16/09/11 15:11, Roger Searle wrote:

>>> I'm not sure what you meant by building several hundred files? The
>>> firmware from the page (as you did above) should be all that you needed.
>>>
>> I think he means building the v4l-dvb device drivers following the
>> instructions on
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2200. I don't
>> recall doing this myself so I assume late model kernels have built-in
>> driver support for the HVR-2200 chipset?
> Yes, that is what I was referring to, I wasn't clear if it was needed
> for a modern kernel or not.  Mythtv newbie...
>>> By the way, if you put it in /lib/firmware/ directly then you won't have
>>> to worry about what happens when the kernel gets updated.
>>>
>> Good call. I "lost" the firmware after each kernel upgrade due to
>> storing it in a sub-dir of /lib/firmware/. Pain copying it back each time.
> So a simple copy of *.fw from the sub-dir to lib/firmware would appear
> to be all I need? Shall do that now.  Thanks for the tips!  Next piece
> of excitement is that I have the expected TV channels listed following a
> scan.  Now to make an actual recording...
>
> Cheers,
> Roger

Hi Roger,

I'm intrigued by your card setup. Do you have a 2200 or is it actually a
2250? Is it a full height or half height card? The reason I ask is
because it seems you may have analogue video capture working since you
have /dev/video and /dev/vbi devices as well as /dev/dvb devices. Also
you're using the newer NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw firmware whereas I'm
using older v4l-saa7164-1.0.3.fw and dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw firmware.
But your card type is 4, the same as mine. So I'm wondering if the NXP
firmware would work on my older card to get analogue TV working.

David