[mythtvnz] Acer Revo RL100

Kristian Haga Karstensen krizze at bluezone.no
Mon Sep 12 21:35:35 BST 2011

På Thu, 08 Sep 2011 08:08:43 +0200, skrev Kerry Baker
<kerry.baker at orcon.net.nz>:

> I'll try to answer all your questions here:
>
> Noise:  Virtually silent!  If you listen closely you can hear the hard
> drive working.  My home theatre amp has a fan and it makes more noise
> than
> the Revo!
>
> Linux and Blu Ray: As far as I am aware, with Linux the disc has to be
> ripped to the hard drive, removing encryption which is a pain in the
> arse.
>  If it could be reliably played directly from the disc I would ditch
> Windows altogether.  To be honest I think Blu Ray could be more trouble
> than its worth.  The DRM is so onerous it practically encourages piracy.

I think (can't actually say it works, 'cause I haven't tried it myself)
you can play
Blu-Ray on Linux without dumping the whole thing to the hard drive.
You can use a program called makemkv, that decrypts on the fly, and
supports
streaming the Blu-Ray as a network-stream you can play with MPlayer, VLC,
etc:

http://themediaviking.com/2010/bluray-linux/

Should be possible to make a script that does everything for you
automatically
(looks like this has been done for XBMC:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=67420).

As I said, I haven't tried it - let us know if you try (I don't have a
Blu-Ray drive yet).

--
Regards
Kristian