[mythtvnz] Which DVB-T tuner should I get

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Sat Sep 3 00:42:49 BST 2011

On 01/09/11 21:25, Roger Searle wrote:
> On 29/08/11 9:49 AM, Hadley Rich wrote:
>> I installed the HVR-2200 last night. On my Ubuntu 10.04 system all that
>> was needed was the firmware and a modprobe options file to set the card
>> id.
>>
>> All up and running easily in tvheadend. I haven't attempted to delve
>> into the depths of myth configuration yet - not sure if I want to yet.
> Being on the verge of purchasing a DVB-T card for a mythtv box, I'm very
> interested to hear of your experience with this card should you do so,
> or if anyone else has one of these working in mythtv?  And, are you
> suggesting that myth config is far from a simple "it just works"?
>
> Regards
> Roger

> Today I decided that it would be nicer to use upstart and udev to decide when to start mythbackend so I wrote a 2 line /etc/udev/rules.d/dvb.rules file to emit a custom "tuner-add" event with a variable "CARD_NO" set to the adapter number:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", KERNEL=="dvb0.frontend0", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/sbin/initctl --quiet emit --no-wait tuner-add CARD_NO=0"
> SUBSYSTEM=="dvb", KERNEL=="dvb1.frontend0", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/sbin/initctl --quiet emit --no-wait tuner-add CARD_NO=1"
>
> Then I commented out all the original delay stuff added to /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf and changed the start conditions to:
>
> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE=lo and tuner-add CARD_NO=0 and tuner-add CARD_NO=1)

Actually you don't need to create a custom udev rule. Turns out that
upstart-udev-bridge generates upstart events from udev events. See these
web pages:

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/#upstart-udev-bridge
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configuration

So now I have my /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf start conditions like this:

start on (local-filesystems
         and net-device-up IFACE=lo
         and dvb-device-added KERNEL=dvb0.frontend0
         and dvb-device-added KERNEL=dvb1.frontend0)