[mythtvnz] HVR-2200 Not finding channels...

rob at webworxshop.com rob at webworxshop.com
Tue Oct 25 07:15:59 BST 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:16:25 +1300, David Moore wrote:
> On 20/10/11 15:10, rob at webworxshop.com wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 15:00:04 +1300, Curtis Walker wrote:
>>> Source is here:
>>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTV_dvb-apps
>>>
>>> I don't recall using that particular utility when I set up my Arch
>>> backend/frontend (perhaps it was because I tried and it didn't
>>> work).
>>>
>>> Curtis
>>
>> Probably because you didn't need it. I want to check my signal
>> strength
>> to see if my antenna tweaks are helping. I'd be interested to know
>> if
>> you can find a package for it. Searching pacman and aur turns up
>> nothing
>> for me.
>>
>> Rob
>
> The HVR-2200 firmware/driver works OK for signal level but I think
> the
> error counter is buggy. Never got sensible error count in myth or
> with
> the external dvb app (can't remember the name). Maybe I found it on
> linuxtv.org?
>
> Error count or S/N is equally important as level. I have had good
> level
> but poor S/N on a bad antenna. Distortion I guess.

I have now come to the conclusion that someone has been screwing around
with the antenna setup in this house! For some reason the UHF antenna
was completley disconnected. The cables for this and the old sky dish
run next to each other and it looks like someone had disconnected one
and connected the other.

After buying connectors and connecting everything up, I still wasn't
getting anything. A trip up onto the roof on Saturday showed that there
is a mast head amplifier up there - which didn't have a power supply.

I've now tracked down a power supply and am able to pick up the TVNZ
and Mediaworks multiplexes reliably, although I had to extend the tuning
interval by quite a bit. No sign of Kordia which is a bit of a problem
as most of the shows I want to record are on Prime!

Another problem is that I get partial locks when switching from the
Mediaworks to TVNZ, the OSD shows the code 'TLMs'. Switching to another
TVNZ channel and then  back will work. The EIT data for TVNZ also
appears to be missing which is possibly related.

I can't believe that the reception can be so bad around here (Howick)
that I can't lock onto these channels. Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Rob