[mythtvnz] HVR-2200 Not finding channels...

rob at webworxshop.com rob at webworxshop.com
Wed Oct 19 10:34:46 BST 2011

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:15:04 +1300, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:09:23 +1300, you wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Thanks for the reponses last night, I have made some progress. I
>> found
>>that I was still missing firmware for one of the chips on the
>> HVR-2200
>>when I tried the 'scan' utility. Adding that firmware allows me to
>> pick
>>up some channels, although what channels are picked up seems to vary
>>from scan to scan! I am able to pick up the TVNZ channels reliably.
>
> That could be a bad aerial.  The higher frequency multiplexes are
> generally harder to receive, and TVNZ is normally the lowest
> frequency, so it often is the only one that works on rabbits ears or
> with bad signal.

This makes sense, we have had intermittent issues with PRIME on the TV.
The antenna is an external one, but isn't especially long (perhaps
40-50cm). Based upon the antennas in the local area it appears to be
pointing in the right derection.

<snip>

> Getting picture and then having it stop is also typical of a bad
> signal level on the aerial.  LiveTV recordings are also expired very
> rapidly.  There may be some settings to control that somewhere, but I
> would expect them to disappear in a couple of minutes.  But getting
> errors about missing files is usually due to the tuner never having
> locked in and started recording to the missing file.
>
> If your TV is near your backend, try plugging the HVR-2200 aerial
> cable into the TV to see if the signal is good.

As I said, we do have intermittent signal issues. Usually moving the
antenna cable around a bit sorts it out! This suggests to me that it may
be bad connection in the wall socket, which I will investigate tomorrow
evening.

Rob