[mythtvnz] HVR-2200 Not finding channels...

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Wed Oct 19 09:55:28 BST 2011

On 19/10/11 20:09, rob at webworxshop.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for the reponses last night, I have made some progress. I found
> that I was still missing firmware for one of the chips on the HVR-2200
> when I tried the 'scan' utility. Adding that firmware allows me to pick
> up some channels, although what channels are picked up seems to vary
> from scan to scan! I am able to pick up the TVNZ channels reliably.

You may still not have the right mix of firmware and driver versions.
I'm using a recent set of drivers from linuxtv.org plus
dvb-fe-tda10048-1.0.fw plus NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw. I can't find any
references to firmware for the TDA18271 tuner so I guess it doesn't need
any.

Maybe try this to see what's loading at boot:
dmesg | grep -iE 'tda|saa|dvb|tv'

There is also a ton of debug info available with the saa7164 driver but
it can burn up disk space very quickly if you turn on all the debug options.

> My next problem is that when trying to watch TV I get less than a
> second of video before the picture freezes. After about a minute the
> frontend then falls back to the menu with the message "Video frame
> buffering failed too many times". There doesn't appear to be anything in
> the logs, but the stdout of mythfrontend shows that it is waiting for
> files which aren't there, e.g. /mnt/recordings/livetv/1001_<some
> timestamp>.mpg - there are several of these entries.
>
> Looking in /mnt/recordings/livetv:
>
> [robert at laforge ~]$ ls -la /mnt/recordings/livetv/
> total 8
> drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv root  4096 Oct 19 20:02 .
> drwxr-xr-x 5 mythtv root  4096 Oct 19 19:51 ..
> -rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv users    0 Oct 19 18:36 1010_20111019183639.mpg
>
> Shows only one file!
>
> Anyone got any idea why the other files are not getting written?

They only get stored in the one livetv directory on my system. There are
settings for "aging out" the livetv recordings in the frontend under
Utilities/Setup>Setup>TV Settings>General. From recent use I can confirm
that live recordings do not deleted before the max age time unless you
run low on disk space.