[mythtvnz] Quick HDMI question....

rob at webworxshop.com rob at webworxshop.com
Sun Oct 16 23:35:07 BST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:27:38 +1300, Brett wrote:
> On
>> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card
>> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV.
>> My
>> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics
>> card
>> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special
>> cable?
>> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any
>> configuration
>> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?
>
> Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?

No-one recommended the 210 specifically. I just went for one that
supports VDPAU [0]. Despite the title on the pbtech site, the box and
EVGA website quote it as being a "Geforce 210" not GT210 [1].

> The HDMI audio is not hard to debug sort out..
> You need to use the nVidia driver.
> It is recommended to use alsa 1.0.24 user-space.
> A std $5-$10 HDMI cable is fine.

That answers my question, thanks.

> What distro kernel are you running ?

Nothing yet!

> Post your
> aplay -l
>
> You will likely get devices like
> hw:1,3
> hw:1,7
> hw:1,8
> hw:1,9
>
> Then try
> speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,n
> where n= [9, 8, 7,3]
> close/reopen the terminal each time for good measure..

Will give this a try once I get the cable.

Cheers,

Rob

[0]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo#Table_of_PureVideo_.28HD.29_GPUs