[mythtvnz] Quick HDMI question....

Brett mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Oct 16 22:27:38 BST 2011

On
> The second thing is HDMI. I have a HDMI output on the graphics card I
> bought (an EVGA Nvidia 210 [0]) and the respective input on my TV. My
> question is whether a direct HDMI connection between the graphics card
> and the TV will give me audio over HDMI, or do I need a special cable?
> If this will work with just a standard cable, is there any configuration
> magic required to direct the audio to the graphics card?

Will the person who recommended the GT210 own up ?

The HDMI audio is not hard to debug sort out..
You need to use the nVidia driver.
It is recommended to use alsa 1.0.24 user-space.
A std $5-$10 HDMI cable is fine.

What distro kernel are you running ?

Post your
aplay -l

You will likely get devices like
hw:1,3
hw:1,7
hw:1,8
hw:1,9

Then try
speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,n
where n= [9, 8, 7,3]
close/reopen the terminal each time for good measure..