[mythtvnz] SOLVED - front end for mac osx 10.6

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 22:25:02 BST 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Roger Searle <roger.searle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Happily reporting this is solved.  I got the FE to work once I comment
> out the line for DBPort in the FE mysql.txt file.

Your previous post showed DBPort as 6543. DBPort relates to the port
mysql is running on, usually 3306.

6543 is the port mythbackend is running on and is definitely wrong for DBPort.

All that mysql.txt or config.xml does is point you to the database,
the database points you to the backend.

The whole scenario is a bit confusing to start with because there are
a few things you need to get right before remote frontends will work,
including:

1. mysql must be configured to listen on the network, not just
127.0.0.1 (mythtv-setup|general|first page)

2. mythbackend must be configured to run on the network address, not
on 127.0.0.1 (sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database)

3. the database must have the correct entries to allow the mythtv user
(that's the mythtv user within mysql, not the mythtv system user in
/etc/passwd) to connect from the network with the correct password.
(sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common

4. the frontend must have the correct IP address username and password
in it's config.xml and/or mysql.txt fil so it can find the database.