[mythtvnz] front end for mac osx 10.6

Roger Searle roger.searle at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 00:48:48 BST 2011

On 8/10/11 10:21 AM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Roger Searle<roger.searle at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Does anyone have a front end running on Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard?
>>  I've tried the following from SourceForge being 0.24 +fixes to match
>> my current FE/BE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/
>> I'd welcome any suggestions what to do from here, I pretty much just
>> chase my tail from here.  Seems no config is created on the BE for the
>> mac FE?
>>
>> mysql>  select * from settings where hostname like "macbook";
>> Empty set (0.00 sec)
>>
>> On the BE (following starting the mac FE below) the log shows:
>> 2011-10-08 09:37:15.321 MainServer, Warning: Unknown socket closing
>> MythSocket(0x7f5c20039070)
>>
>> Here's the mac FE, it has at least managed to pick up the correct BE IP
>> address, DBPassword from the BE's mysql.txt file.  Appears to make a
>> connection and then get disconnected.  FE never actually appears:
> You are mistaken. The FE does not pick up the BE's ip address etc from
> the BE's mysql.txt. It picks those up from the FE's mysql.txt. That is
> the purpose of mysql.txt, it tells the frontend where to find the
> mysql server's database. The datatbase then tells the FE where the
> master backend is (bearing in mind that the mysql database and the
> master backend can be on different machines.)
Thanks for the various clarifications, nice little learning curve I'm
on.  I should clarify that there appeared to have been some kind of
connection made, in that the FE had picked up the DBPassword only, I was
incorrect about the IP address part, I had manually edited the
config.xml and/or mysql.txt files on the FE as they were obviously wrong
being 127.0.0.1.  I've checked on the BE setup general screen, the local
backend and master backend IP addresses are both correct as
192.168.1.100.  netstat tells me that it's listening on ports 6543, 6544
and 6545.
> And actually mysql.txt is not the only place the FE looks.
> Historically the file was mysql.txt but this has been moved to
> config.xml, which is the same info in xml format. mysql.txt is
> preserved for historical reasons. Furthermore these files exist in
> /etc/mythtv (ie system wide) and ~/.mythtv (per user). Check them all.
> I am not entirely sure what order they are searched for, and which is
> preferred if there is a conflict.
Here are my various config.xml and mysql.txt (commented lines removed)
files, this is definitely an area I have become a little confused in
trying to move up the learning curve from the bottom!  On the mac FE,
files seem to only be in /Users/roger/.mythtv, nothing in /etc:

rs-macbook:.mythtv roger$ cat config.xml
<Configuration>
<UPnP>
<UDN>
<MediaRenderer>7bc18313-3712-4990-a899-bdb43611e1ff</MediaRenderer>
</UDN>
<MythFrontend>
<DefaultBackend>
<DBHostName>192.168.1.100</DBHostName>
<DBUserName>mythtv</DBUserName>
<DBPassword>xlNd4HV3</DBPassword>
<DBName>mythconverg</DBName>
<DBPort>6543</DBPort>
</DefaultBackend>
</MythFrontend>
</UPnP>
</Configuration>

rs-macbook:.mythtv roger$ cat mysql.txt
DBHostName=192.168.1.100
DBPort=6543
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=xlNd4HV3
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

On the backend, in my user's folder, they point to 127.0.0.1.  mysql.txt
is a link to /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt.  If I edit the config.xml file to be
192.168.1.100, run the FE (on the FE/BE box) and look at config.xml
again, it has been re-written to 127.0.0.1 again!

roger at gemini ~/.mythtv $ cat config.xml
<Configuration>
<UPnP>
<UDN>
<MediaRenderer>437e23e3-15e0-44f7-8991-f697ccc9aad7</MediaRenderer>
</UDN>
<MythFrontend>
<DefaultBackend>
<DBHostName>127.0.0.1</DBHostName>
<DBUserName>mythtv</DBUserName>
<DBPassword>xlNd4HV3</DBPassword>
<DBName>mythconverg</DBName>
<DBPort>0</DBPort>
</DefaultBackend>
</MythFrontend>
</UPnP>
</Configuration>

roger at gemini ~/.mythtv $ cat mysql.txt
DBHostName=127.0.0.1
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=xlNd4HV3
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

On the BE, /etc/mythtv/ files:

roger at gemini ~/.mythtv $ cat /etc/mythtv/config.xml
<Configuration>
<UPnP>
<MythFrontend>
<DefaultBackend>
<!--
Set the <LocalHostName> hostname override below only if you want to use
something other than the machine's real hostname for identifying settings
in the database.  This is useful if your hostname changes often, as
otherwise you'll need to reconfigure mythtv every time.

NO TWO HOSTS MAY USE THE SAME VALUE
-->
<DBHostName>localhost</DBHostName>
<DBUserName>mythtv</DBUserName>
<DBPassword>xlNd4HV3</DBPassword>
<DBName>mythconverg</DBName>
<DBPort>0</DBPort>
</DefaultBackend>
</MythFrontend>
</UPnP>
</Configuration>

roger at gemini ~/.mythtv $ cat /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
DBHostName=127.0.0.1
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=xlNd4HV3
DBName=mythconverg
DBType=QMYSQL3

So, on the BE, none of the config.xml or mysql.txt files, use the static
IP address of the BE as seen in the general/setup screen.  Something's
broken somewhere, I can't piece it together, I can confirm though that
the BE/FE box is running fine, recordings are happening, and I can view
them.

> Back to the problem - do you have other remote frontends working? If
> so we can eliminate all problems associated with broken
> backend/database configurations.
No others unfortunately, this is my first venture into a separate front
end, I may try running up a VM later if I have time as an experiment.