[mythtvnz] front end for mac osx 10.6

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 22:21:47 BST 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Roger Searle <roger.searle at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Try the settings table select * from settings where hostname
>>> like"%imac%";
> I'd welcome any suggestions what to do from here, I pretty much just
> chase my tail from here.  Seems no config is created on the BE for the
> mac FE?
>
> mysql> select * from settings where hostname like "macbook";
> Empty set (0.00 sec)
>
> On the BE (following starting the mac FE below) the log shows:
> 2011-10-08 09:37:15.321 MainServer, Warning: Unknown socket closing
> MythSocket(0x7f5c20039070)
>
> Here's the mac FE, it has at least managed to pick up the correct BE IP
> address, DBPassword from the BE's mysql.txt file.  Appears to make a
> connection and then get disconnected.  FE never actually appears:

You are mistaken. The FE does not pick up the BE's ip address etc from
the BE's mysql.txt. It picks those up from the FE's mysql.txt. That is
the purpose of mysql.txt, it tells the frontend where to find the
mysql server's database. The datatbase then tells the FE where the
master backend is (bearing in mind that the mysql database and the
master backend can be on different machines.)

And actually mysql.txt is not the only place the FE looks.
Historically the file was mysql.txt but this has been moved to
config.xml, which is the same info in xml format. mysql.txt is
preserved for historical reasons. Furthermore these files exist in
/etc/mythtv (ie system wide) and ~/.mythtv (per user). Check them all.
I am not entirely sure what order they are searched for, and which is
preferred if there is a conflict.

Back to the problem - do you have other remote frontends working? If
so we can eliminate all problems associated with broken
backend/database configurations.