[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu -- time issues (again)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:06:18 BST 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:34 PM, AlanP <alan.p at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> At 07:17 p.m. 6/10/2011, you wrote:
>>Is the clock pooched, or is ntp severely confused and upsetting it?
>
> I'm pretty sure by now that the motherboard clock is munted, and that it
> confuses ntp terribly. Money to replace it, though, is not in the kitty :/

It could easily be your drift file, if it gets an unreasonably large
figure in there things go really wrong.

1. stop ntpd
1a. change your servers to nz.pool.ntp.org. The proper approach is to
use servers close to you.
2. delete the drift file
3. run ntpdate to get the clock right
4. restart ntpd

Your hardware clock is irrelevant while the computer is running. The
kernel keeps track of the time. The hardware clock only matters when
the motherboard is turned off.

You really need the time right on the backend or you'll never record
anything at tthe right time.

On  your frontend you can use the same ntp setup, or use ntpdate via
cron against your backend.