[mythtvnz] Nova-T Stick

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Oct 5 09:44:04 BST 2011

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:56:47 +1300, you wrote:

>On 05/10/11 14:29, David Lowe wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com
>> <mailto:worik.stanton at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     What about one of these devices?
>>
>>     http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=TVNHGR0053&name=Hauppauge-WinTV-Nova-T-Stick-TV-Tuner-DVB-T-FreeVi
>>     <http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=TVNHGR0053&name=Hauppauge-WinTV-Nova-T-Stick-TV-Tuner-DVB-T-FreeVi>
>>
>>     They appear to be supported...
>>
>>     http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-Stick
>>
>>     It is cheap and does not use up a slot, but I can find no mention
>>     of it...
>>
>>     cheers
>>     Worik
>>

>> I can confirm these work straight out of the box - Mythbuntu 11.04. I
>> think I read somewhere they need quite a recent kernel.
>>
>> They come with a little 150mm long aerial which I have found to be
>> surprisingly good.
>>
>> - David
>
>Is there any reason why two would not work simultaneously?

I think these come with the excellent full Hauppauge remote, so a good
one to get if you do not have a full remote already.

If you have two of these on the same box, there may be a problem with
two remote controls.  It is usually possible to fix problems like
that, but you would be better off with a second cheaper USB stick with
no remote or one of the useless small remotes.  There are often kWorld
DVB-T 395UR ones for sale on TradeMe for $30.  These use the Afatech
chipset and work fine as a tuner.  I have never tried the
cheap/useless remote that comes with them.  There is also a kWorld
DVB-T 399UR dual tuner version that appears less often on TradeMe.  It
works too, but usually costs more than two of the 395UR ones.  But
good if you want to put three tuners on your laptop and are running
short of USB ports.  Unfortunately the sellers on TradeMe often do not
specify exactly what they are selling, so it may look like the kWorld
ones what you want in the photo, but you have to ask to make sure. The
Pinnacle nano stick tuners that are also often on TradeMe such as this
one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-411690744.htm

are better than the kWorld ones (able to tune a worse signal), but I
have never seen them going for less than $60.  I have two of these and
they work well.  Again, I have never tried their remotes.

Three tuners are needed to be able to record at the same time from all
three multiplexes broadcast in NZ.