[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Douglas Pearless Douglas.Pearless at pearless.co.nz
Wed Oct 5 04:02:14 BST 2011

If you can run 3 x cat5e from another location to your living room, I'd recommend putting a dual core + NVIDIA GT200 or better backend/front end box with your tuner cards somewhere the sound doesn't matter.

Run a USB over cat5 (about $50 for a pair of converters) for IR and HDMI over 2 x cat 5 (these are under $100 for a transmitter and receiver).  This means there is ZERO sound in the lounge, and if you want to, you can add a USB DVD for movie playback.

This is what I have and it has a high WAF (only a tiny IR receiver is visible under the TV).

If your USB over cat5 is great than 5m, add ferrite noise suppressor at either end to counter any RFI picked up by the cables (the HDMI transmitters and receivers seem to be OK with a 15m run)

Cheers
Douglas.