[mythtvnz] configuring hvr-2200 card !!SOLVED!!

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Oct 3 10:00:27 BST 2011

>> Getting stuff back again.
>>
>> I had to restore last night's database backup after messing about with
>> cards and scanning. The DVB-T section of the HVR-2200 is now working
>> again
>> but its using channel data from my USB tuner - scanning resulted in all
>> channels being 100% signal level and nothing found :(
>>
>> I've re-arranged things so I now have
>> adapter0 = DVB-S
>> adapter1 = DVB-S
>> /dev/video0 = STB
>> adapter3 = DVB-T
>>
>> but analog is still blue (but I get sound so its on the correct input).
>>
>> So weird that it was fine to start with but nowt since. I'll try a
>> reboot
>> later in case its a hardware lockup.
>
> One step forward, one back....
>
> The svideo input is working now - in fact it may have been all along as I
> found the cable unplugged from the back of the STB - duh!!!
>
> The DVB-T doesn't work again though - really weird as it shows 100% signal
> strength, 2.4dB S/N and no_lock. scan from the dvb utils package doesn't
> work either (and I've tried priming it with different frequencies in case
> the card is fussy). Tried rebooting/power-down but no luck. I know the
> aerial is OK as the USB tuner is OK.
>
> Anyone an idea of the name of the digital side of the driver (if its
> separate from the saa7164) so I can try unloading/loading so force a
> firmware reload?
>
> Cheers

Tada.....

A very thorough scan of the system logs revealed the following line:
   Oct  3 20:29:24 jupiter kernel: DVB: Unable to find symbol
tda18271_attach()
which indicates that the tda18271 module to control the tuner was not loaded.

Despite running depmod, the dependency was not resolved so having unloaded
saa7164, loaded tda18271 and then reloaded saa7164 everything now works -
even the analog RF input. Not sure how to fix that across reboots - either
frig the modules.dep file, or blacklist saa7164 and manually load it after
the tuner module

Interesting that the composite input sees the svideo signal but since
there is no separate composite input on the card (I don't have the
breakout panel) thats no great loss!!

I've even been able to create a decent channels.conf file so I might even
get to update my DVBT channels which are some months out of date.

Can you see me smiling now :)

--
Robin Gilks