[mythtvnz] Basic question - do I need mythfrontend open in order to record?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Oct 2 12:57:42 BST 2011

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 00:32:49 +1300, you wrote:

>Can't find the answer to this, so here goes:
>
>Having scheduled a recording in mythfrontend, can I close mythfrontend,
>and the show will still record?
>
>In other words, does mythfrontend need to be open in order for shows to
>record, or does it pass the needed info to the backend which will do it
>itself without needing the FE open?

No.  Mythbackend is all that is needed to record.  Mythfrontend can be
on another PC (say a laptop) and that PC can just be started as
necessary to run Mythfrontend and then be shut down again.
Mythfrontend talks to Mythbackend by normal Internet TCP connections,
so it can do that on the same PC as Mythbackend, or over ethernet,
WiFi or Internet connections.  As long as its connection has enough
bandwidth, it can play recordings stored on the backend, and if there
is not enough bandwidth to play recordings, it can still control a
Mythbackend.