[mythtvnz] LiveTV DVB-S fails, DVB-T is OK!!

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu May 26 08:35:11 BST 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011 18:07:08 +1200, you wrote:

>Just in the last week or so I've had a strange problem.
>
>I used to have 'Avoid LiveTV conflicts' set so that LiveTV would go to the
>end of my list of capture cards which I've set up as one of my 2 DVB-S
>cards. This is failing with:
>
>2011-05-26 17:55:01.407 TV Error: StartRecorder() -- timed out waiting for
>recorder to start
>2011-05-26 17:55:01.407 TV Error: LiveTV not successfully started
>
>By changing the setting I start up on the DVB-T card and all is well but
>switching input to one of the 2 DVB-S cards results in the same error.
>
>What is strange is that scheduled recordings appear to be OK in that I can
>record from a mix of cards simultaneously!!
>
>From the messages I guess the error is in the backend but there is nothing
>in the logs :(
>
>Anyone any ideas or should I move the question to the main list...
>
>Cheers

The first thing I would do with a strange problem like that is to shut
down completely (and turn off the power supply), and leave it off for
> 15 seconds or so.  This is to ensure that everything is fully reset
and coldstarted when you turn it on again.  TV cards typically have
their own internal microprocessor that is running firmware downloaded
from the PC, and the download is often not done on warmstarts, so if
the card has gotten confused about something, then only a coldstart is
guaranteed to get it unconfused.  The internal microprocessor firmware
is often quite buggy and does not handle some situations it meets only
rarely and so it can get into a strange mode that the MythTV and
driver software has no clue has happened.