[mythtvnz] old ihug dish

James Gray james6.0 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 08:21:10 BST 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Darrin Nelson <darrin_nelson at het.org.nz>wrote:

> I figure it is easier to ask and quicker.....
>
> I have NZ freeview off my sky satellite working 100%. I now want to capture
> greater range of channels using my old ihug disk that is still in position
> on the
> roof. Couple of obvious questions:
>
> I have a DVB-S2 card in my pc.
>
> What satellite can I hit, can I get this satellite
>
> http://www.lyngsat.com/intel8.html

I don't see why not. Only the channels whose beams cover New Zealand,
mind...

> Also I understand that I will have to change the LNB and also the alignment
> of the
> dish. is this correct.

The LNB on the dish will have either a Ku band or a C band LNB. That
satellite has, pointed at new zealand, a Ku band beam ("New Zealand"), and a
C band beam ("Pacific"). Which one to use depends on what you want to pick
up

And yes, you may have to realign the dish. Set the elevation (up/down) using
the scale on the dish (use http://www.dishpointer.com/ to find the right
value), plug in the meter between the dish and decoder, then turn it around
(not right around, all birds from NZ are to between North-east-east and
North-west-west) until you find the meter lights up.

Don't know what the LNB type and alignment of those iHug dishes were... does
anybody know?