[mythtvnz] About to install Myth for the first time.

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 03:53:57 BST 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 15:38, Brett Davidson <brett at davidson.gen.nz> wrote:

> Good idea if bootup time is an issue. They are fast for normal running too
> but remember that writes kills these so no use for storing your db on. (I'd
> mount all of /var on a physical drive).

I assume you're talking about the limited lifecycle for writes? It's not a
problem in practice, see e.g.
http://storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html. Microsoft actually
recommend that the Windows page file be kept on an SSD.

As far as the db goes, I should probably mention that despite what I said
earlier about keeping it on a seperate disk from recordings, I've been
running a single disk for /, db and recordings for about 5 years (max 3
recordings at once + comm detect). Never had any problems with performance.

Cheers,