[mythtvnz] About to install Myth for the first time.

Brett Davidson brett at davidson.gen.nz
Thu Mar 31 03:48:55 BST 2011

Steve Hodge wrote :
>If you're planning on powering your mythbox down an SSD is >probably worthwhile. If it's going to be on 24/7 then don't >bother.

I'd agree with that.
For my frontends I'm planning on going diskless or do I need some writable temp space beyond ram?

> On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 14:31 +1300, Brett Davidson wrote:
>> Is the MythTV db usage that bad? If so, any other ideas?

>No, it's not that bad. So long as the database is on a >seperate drive to the recordings you won't have any >problems. If the box is purely for myth then having the >database on the same drive a / will be fine.

It's not. There are other things going on too. Only want one (or at most two) boxes running 24/7. (Have a few at present).

>You said this is going to start out as a combined fe/be. I >count at least 6 disks (mirror 7200s for /, 10k for db, >raid5 for recordings. How loud is this machine going to be? >Personally I would have / and db on a single 7200. Take an >image after it's all installed and make daily db backups, >put those on the raid5. Should be easy to recover if the >7200 dies.

Good spotting. Yeah - 7 disks at present. Loudness isn't a great concern for me - this lives in a as-quiet-as-I-can-get-it rack in it's own area. (my Man-zone). The main reason for the hybrid was for initial testing and so I can watch things while working on other projects. ;-)

Was only concerned about using a sep spindle for db when Nick mentioned to me in passing that Myth clobbers the db somewhat.

I have a few spare 74Gb 10K drives and thought that putting the db on one of them might be a good idea.

It appears that Myth resource requirements are not as severe as I first thought.