[mythtvnz] About to install Myth for the first time.

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Mar 31 01:44:01 BST 2011

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:39:36 +1300, you wrote:

>On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Brett Davidson <brett at davidson.gen.nz> wrote:
>> Using Mythbuntu to make it easy.

>> Mythbuntu says to install MPEG-2 card option for the Hauppage HVR2200 I'm using. However we don't use MPEG-2 here. Should I set this to V4L instead?
>
>I am confused now, you said you only want DVB-T - the mpeg2
>functionality is for analogue, you want to use the DVB functionality,
>and to set it up as a dvb card.
>
>if you do want to use analogue then in this case mpeg2 refers to how
>the card compressed the signal in hardware - from an analogue stream
>to an mpeg2 stream. and yes you would set it up as an mpeg2 card, it
>won't work as v4l.

There is always a bit of confusion around the use of the term MPEG2.
It can refer to quite different things.  The most common usage is the
video encoding method used on DVDs, where it specifies the content of
the video stream.  But MPEG2 also can mean the container format which
the video, audio and other streams are embedded inside.  There are two
MPEG2 container formats: PS = Program Stream, which is what is used on
DVDs, and TS = Transport Stream, which is what is used for broadcast
signals as it contains redundant data to allow for error correction,
and also has a format that allows for error recovery after a bad error
makes the receiver lose track of the data, or when a receiver starts
up.  MPEG2-TS is the container format used for DVB-T transmissions. It
is best to always say MPEG2-PS or MPEG2-TS when referring to the
container format rather than the video stream format, but I have yet
to see a DVB-T tuner actually do that in their manual or advertising -
they always seem to just say MPEG2.  Hence the confusion.