[mythtvnz] Slightly OT - which new TV

Damian cheese643 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:50:24 GMT 2011

I am a big fan of the Panasonic products but then I am also a strong
advocate of plasma rather than LCD. The LCD vs plasma debate can really
stir people up so I will side step that. Panasonic is well regarded for
their plasma sets, people placing them a close second to the very
expensive and hard to get Pioneer kuros. Family members have Panasonic
LCDs as well and I have been impressed with all of them.

I had a Philips tv fail last year and as part of the process I had to
deal fairly closely with a tv repair man. He was of the opinion that
Panasonic was the brand he saw the least of. He also commented that when
he has had to deal with a faulty Panasonic unit the parts are often
sourced within NZ and that the support is local.  He went on to make
racial slurs about the support from other vendors in particular LG and
Samsung. While that is another story all together I think it highlights
a potential problem.

Personally I think 3D is a gimmick at this stage. I have no doubt it
will grow, if you consider the amount of money being thrown at 3D movies
it almost has to grow as there has been too much investment. I just
don't really like the idea of having to have a stash of spare glasses
which aren't that cheap in case you have friends around. Not to mention
the reduced viewing angle if you want the effects to actually work
properly. I think of it as something thats cool for someone else to have
so you can see it but not have the hassles that it brings.

DLNA is a cool idea but you have to read the details about what the TV
is capable of playing. You can stream media which puts the workload onto
your PC or in some cases the TV can do the work but both often have
limited support for file formats. For me DLNA was a moot point as my
HTPC handles everything and more than DLNA was ever going to offer.

If you do decide to look at the Panasonic plasmas the U series is very
nice but if you can go to the V series you will not regret it. The V
actually has DLNA incidentally but it's the panel that will give you
wood :-) Oh yeah, you can turn overscan off on the U and V series too.

Hope this is useful

Damian