[mythtvnz] heads up - Listings - C4/Four transition

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 8 10:25:12 GMT 2011

On 8/03/2011 10:41 p.m., Tony Sauri wrote:

> I have observed that the  DVB_T EPG data contained in the MHEG datastream
> contains crid urls encoded in seperate parts as described in a PDF document
> that I found on the freeview website entitled:
> 	 TRANSMISSION RULES  FOR THE  DVB-T (Terrestrial)  NETWORK
>                    For New Zealand Free to Air Digital Broadcasting
>
> (Google this search term:     site:www.freeviewnz.tv filetype:pdf
>
> Another interesting document is:
> 	Free to Air Digital Terrestrial Receiver (iDTV) Requirements Profile
>
> The Authority section of the crids as I have captured from the MHEG EPG data
> are as follows:
>
> TV ONE				crid://tvnz.co.nz
> TV2					crid://tvnz.co.nz
> U					crid://tvnz.co.nz
> TVNZ 7				crid://tvnz.co.nz
>
> TV3					crid://tv3.co.nz
> FOUR				crid://mediaworks.co.nz
> TV3Plus1				crid://tv3.co.nz
> C4					crid://mediaworks.co.nz
>
> māori Television		crid://maoritelevision.com
> Parliament TV			crid://parliament.nz
> Trackside				crid://tab.co.nz
> ChineseTV8			crid://chinesetv8.co.nz
> PRIME				crid://primetv.co.nz
> TV33				crid://tv33.co.nz
> Stratos				crid://tritv.co.nz
> tvCentral				crid://tvcentral.co.nz
> RadioNZ National		crid://radionznational.co.nz
> RadioNZ Concert		crid://radionzconcert.co.nz
> BaseFM				crid://basefm.co.nz
>
> I guess this info is not just in the MHEG EPG as mythtvsetup finds and
> populates the data when you do the scan
>
> The whole rational behind crids seems to be to support DVR's such as Tivo and
> My Freeview.  The fact that the Myth team have seen fit to include the crid
> authority data in the database maybe points to some similar functionality in
> thr future.
>
> I have already thought of 2 possible uses that can be made of it:
>
> 	a) Most programmes have 2 crids which are different. An episode crid and a
> series crid.  so it would be possibe to set a "Record Series"  schedule
> event. A lot of work would have to be done to populate the crids through
> xmltv to the myth program tablebefore any of the logic can be sorted out.
> I have been giving a little thought about how this could be implemented in a
> process external to myth for my own use but it will mean serious interfacing
> to the mythtv database.
>
> 	b) There have been posts about program titles changing from week to week (and
> changing to&  etc) with the consequent failure of a schedule event based on
> the program title.  I was thinking that when the EPG data is grabbed from
> MHEG a table xref of series crid to Programme Title could be established for
> every new series crid encountered and used to force consistant programme
> titles.
>
> Tony

Thanks Tony
That seems helpful to at least identify the correct information, of
which several are wrong for me, and as I guessed some are not intuitive.
  I also observed that maoritelevision.com is a "dotcom" and not a
"co.nz" which is also interesting and presumably correct.
Given that no-one seems to be reporting issues about the crid's does
tend to suggest it is a rudiment for future functionality.  I'm still on
0.23 fixes which may also be relevant.  Its interesting that many are
populated at all in the channel table.  As I regard much of mythtv as a
"black box" adhering to data rules / patterns seems a sensible practice
however clearly some of that discipline is a waste...for now anyway.

If it helps anyone else I also had to do a manual mythfilldatabase 1
freeview.xml to get rid of the duplicated Four / C4 entries, thanks for
the post on that Stephen, I doubt I'd have otherwise guessed that one.