[mythtvnz] New motherboard

Rick Hudson rick at kpo.org.nz
Tue Jun 14 23:26:42 BST 2011

On 14/06/2011 4:41 p.m., Scott Newton wrote:

> The current motherboard is about five years old. It has been suggested I look
> for something with a Geforce 9400/8400/8200 chipset which can do HD/Freeview
> rather than the Geforce 7025 which is a bit basic.

I had similar requirements about a year ago I guess and it was surprisingly
hard to find a mobo with a decent Nvidia chipset - the GPU cores were only on
graphics cards or the mobos were too large. Eventually I comprised on a
Micro-ATX with the GeForce 9400 (specifically the Gigabyte ga-e7aum-ds2h).

If you use something like the 9400 be careful with your cooling. Even though
they often (always?) have their own fanless heatsink it is not sufficient to
cool them if you have no system fan while playing HD.

If you can't find a quiet enough system fan I'm almost certain you will need
heatpiping for those types of GPUs.

--
Rick Hudson
http://www.kpo.org.nz/                                        rick at kpo.org.nz