[mythtvnz] New motherboard

Graeme Woollett g.woollett at irl.cri.nz
Tue Jun 14 06:05:09 BST 2011

On 14/06/11 16:41, Scott Newton wrote:
> Front and backend in one box and is in the lounge so needs to be as
> quite as
> possible. The current case is a small form factor one so would need a
> motherboard to fit that.
>
> The current motherboard is about five years old. It has been suggested I look
> for something with a Geforce 9400/8400/8200 chipset which can do HD/Freeview
> rather than the Geforce 7025 which is a bit basic.

Most of the grunt needed is in the GPU.  Have you considered keeping
your present m/b and adding a GT220/430 and an HVR2200? 1.5+ gigs of ram
is a good idea.
If you can get terrestrial HD that's the way to go.  If you are running
commercial flagging and transcoding the A64 may struggle, otherwise it
will do the trick.  It all comes down to which freeview service you
want/can get and dollars you have to spend.
Mythtv only supports nvidia VDPAU hardware decoding so NVidia 8400+
,9*** or GT2** cards are the only options.