[mythtvnz] Split server setup.....

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 22:08:45 GMT 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 10:27 AM, chris bayley <chris at thebayleys.net> wrote:
> Hi team, as a new inductee into the mythtv fold I am just struggling at
> little with my setup.
>
> I have a compact media PC as the front end, a decent server armed with a
> WinTV-HVR-4000 as backend, and a raid5 NAS box serving the NFS file
> store and MySQL database. So it seems obvious as to configuring the
> frontend for the database server but I don't see where to tell it about
> the backend server ?

Hi Chris, not sure what you are asking here?

You tell the frontend where the database is, the database knows where
the backends are. in mythtv-setup|general you tell the backend where

Where are you living these days, don't mind spending a bit of time
helping if you aren't out in the sticks.

> Also, it is not clear to me at this time the intricacies of recording a
> FTA broadcast from the frontend interface using the DVB card on the
> backend...

Just tell it to record from the frontend, go to manage recordings and
follow your nose.

> Is that standard fare ? or does my front end machine have to act as
> secondary backend ?

certainly not

what distro are you using?

The only oddish thing is that you have your mysql server on a
different machine than the master backend, but that shouldn't be a
problem.