[mythtvnz] OT What do we make of IGLOO?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 22:43:33 GMT 2011

TVNZ/Sky have announced a package being described by observers as "Sky
Light" or "Freeview Plus" - $25 per month for freeview plus a few sky
channels (BBC News, BBC Knowledge, UKTV, Nat Geog, Animal Planet,
Heartland, Vibe, Food, Kidzone, MTV Hits, Comedy Central) via a $200
set top box. Also the ability to watch sport as PPV and to download
movies and TV shows on a PPV basis (who has the bandwidth for that in
NZ at present?)

The Freeview channels will continue to be free, but I am wondering if
TVNZ will move their best shows to pay tv to increase uptake.

No news on whether this will be satellite, or terrestrial, or both. I
am guessing satellite unless Sky are devloping a DVB-T infrastructure.

Personally I would probably only watch BBC News, UKTV and Comedy
Central, so I doubt I will subscribe.

Some info on www.igloo.co.nz