[mythtvnz] TeVii S464 installation

Nick Wallingford nickw at beekeeping.co.nz
Sun Dec 4 01:03:12 GMT 2011

I recently got the TeVii S464, a PCI DVB-S2 card, to add to two TeVii
S420 cards (DVB-S only) already in the backend, and got a dual twin
output LNB to replace the single previous on the dish.

There was a thread a few months back relating to this card, with the
unanswered question about whether it truly performs as a DVB-S2, to pick
up such as Channel 9, etc.

I have it working OK to get all the Freeview and, to a limited extent,
the Tasmanian SBS, but cannot get any response out of Channel 9, etc.

Though I will certainly end up with 'proper' mythtv questions, my
current situation is in front of that, and thus slightly off topic - I
hope you will bear with me...

I guess my first question (there might well be more!) is: "Is dvbtune
the right tool to be determining capability in the first instance?"

The LNB has an offset of 10750, and I can use dvbtune to confirm the 2
freeview transponders, using such as:
dvbtune -f 1733000 -s 22500 -p h -m -tone 0

Output is fine for that, stablising pretty quickly to:
Signal=24464, Verror=0, SNR=57640dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)

The Tasmanian SBS I test with:
dvbtune -f 1898000 -s 12600 -p v -m -tone 0

And getL
Signal=13464, Verror=0, SNR=52400dB, BlockErrors=0, (S|L|C|V|SY|)

Though confirming to me it is there, it doesn't seem to be a good enough
signal strength to tune in mythtv.

But I can't get anything out of Channel 9, Go!, etc, with:
dvbtune -f 1648000 -s 11909 -p v -m -tone 0

Sorry for this being a somewhat scattered posting - my hopes and
expectations sometimes exceed my technical capabilities - and it sure if
fun breaking stuff to see if you can fix it better...

If anyone can aim me into some directions and things to check out, I'd
appreciate it!

Nick
Tauranga