[mythtvnz] MCEUSB IR Blaster problem after upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.04 and Kernel

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Aug 19 02:40:19 BST 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 10:49:30 +1200, you wrote:

>MCEUSB IR Blaster problem after upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.04 and Kernel
>

>Up to last Saturday had a perfectly working Mythbuntu 10.10. In a moment of
>insanity I decided to upgrade to 11.04.
>

>From that point on the MCEUSB IR Blaster stopped working. After trying a
>number of solutions I finally did a fresh installation of Mythbuntu 11.04 -
>still no luck.
>

>irsend -d /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE sky 1  works perfectly (Note this is a New
>Zealand Sky box)
>
>/usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/sky/general.conf 01 does not work and
>produces a page of errors saying that says in part:

 line 13: begin: command not found

 Line 15: name: Command not found

 Line 16: bit command not found

 Line 17: CONST_LENGTH: command not found

>After many hours of reading it seems like the MCEUSB is now part of the
>Kernel and that there are two instances running at the same time. And
>because the two are running it is causing a conflict.
>

>This seems evident by entering the following in the terminal:
>

>$ irsend LIST “” “”
>
>            Sky
>
>            mceusb
>

>I have found some information on turning off one
>http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1594799.html but it is too
>complex for me to follow all of the steps, and I do not want to try
>something and have to install everything again. Or even go back to Ubuntu
>10.10.
>

>My questions are:
>

>Does it look like I have correctly identified the problem?
>
>Has anyone got basic instructions on turning one off?
>
>If I keep the Kernel mceusb where do I put the general.conf? (This is
>necessary for the New Zealand Box)

I am using 11.04 (clean install), but I never had any problems with my
MCEUSB ir blaster other than having to install the Sky configuration.
I did that by copying my 10.04 working general.conf to:

  /usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/skynz

and then adding it to the list of supported hardware in:

  /usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitter.hwdb

like this:

[SkyTV New Zealand]
Serial Port (UART) : SkyTV New Zealand;serial;lirc_dev
lirc_serial;hw_default;skynz/general.conf
Microsoft Windows Media Center V2 (usb) : SkyTV New
Zealand;none;lirc_dev mceusb;hw_default;skynz/general.conf
Command IR : Sky Satellite Receiver;none;lirc_dev
lirc_cmdir;hw_default;skynz/general.conf
USB-UIRT2 : SkyTV New
Zealand;uirt2_raw;none;hw_uirt2_raw;skynz/general.conf

Then I used the Mythbuntu Control Centre to add Sky as an IR
transmitter.

I have only one lircd running.  As best I can tell, it is still run
from /etc/init.d/lirc - I checked the initctl list output and there is
no lirc support there yet.