[mythtvnz] MCEUSB IR Blaster problem after upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.04 and Kernel

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 01:38:58 BST 2011

I have been extremely dissatisfied with Ubuntu 11.04.  I have to use it
for my new laptop for the drivers, but I do not use it for my MythTV box
(I use whatever the last one was, MythBuntu 10.10 I think).  Canonical
is going in unfortunate directions, IMO.

Sorry to be unhelpful.  But if you can, use 10.10

cheers
Worik

On 19/08/11 10:49, tim Lockyer wrote:

> MCEUSB IR Blaster problem after upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.04 and Kernel
>
> Up to last Saturday had a perfectly working Mythbuntu 10.10. In a
> moment of insanity I decided to upgrade to 11.04.
>
> From that point on the MCEUSB IR Blaster stopped working. After trying
> a number of solutions I finally did a fresh installation of Mythbuntu
> 11.04 - still no luck.
>
> irsend -d /dev/lircd SEND_ONCE sky 1works perfectly (Note this is a
> New Zealand Sky box)
>
> /usr/share/lirc/extras/transmitters/sky/general.conf 01 does not work
> and produces a page of errors saying that says in part:
>
> … line 13: begin: command not found
>
> … Line 15: name: Command not found
>
> … Line 16: bit command not found
>
> … Line 17: CONST_LENGTH: command not found
>
> After many hours of reading it seems like the MCEUSB is now part of
> the Kernel and that there are two instances running at the same time.
> And because the two are running it is causing a conflict.
>
> This seems evident by entering the following in the terminal:
>
> $ irsend LIST “” “”
>
> Sky
>
> mceusb
>
> I have found some information on turning off one
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1594799.htmlbut it is too
> complex for me to follow all of the steps, and I do not want to try
> something and have to install everything again. Or even go back to
> Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> My questions are:
>
> Does it look like I have correctly identified the problem?
>
> Has anyone got basic instructions on turning one off?
>
> If I keep the Kernel mceusb where do I put the general.conf? (This is
> necessary for the New Zealand Box)

The hippies were right