[mythtvnz] Commercial Flagging

Duncan Kennington duncan.kennington at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 05:18:35 BST 2011

On 18 August 2011 16:03, Ross Williamson <ross at inertia.net.nz> wrote:

> > There has been talk on the mythtvusers list in the last 6 months (?)
> > about improved messages for UK transmissions which seem to have
> > similar problems, I think audio was part of the detection method.
>
> Thanks Nick. I have located the method in question, located here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silence-detect.sh
>
> It's a hack (obviously) that checks for 120ms of silence anywhere in
> the audio stream. The hack could be used for other methods of audio
> detection though. I wonder if some software could be used to detect
> periods of highly compressed audio (in the sound sense, not in the data
> sense) and work in a similar way.

Interesting discussion...!  I used to use the notify only but have gone back
to automatic skipping as it seems to be (HD streams included) quite
reliable.  The important setting change I think for us was to set the
maximum commercial skip duration to 300 seconds (5 minutes) which catches
all the regular 4 minute breaks but doesn't allow it to miss the end of a
break and skip to the beginning of the next one.

Having said that, it does consume an enormous amount of horsepower to
realtime flag HD - I have a 2U server with dual 3ghz Xeons crunching up to
two streams at once and it gets the load average into the 7s.  AFAIK I am
just using the default settings (but have been upgrading this database since
0.16 so who knows), the only change I have consciously made is that
described above.

Most of our programmes come off 1, 2, 3, FOUR or Prime; these seem
reasonably good.  The stuff we get off UKTV or Discovery from Sky not so
much, but I have not had a chance to tune the PVR150 settings to get the
quality up to a point that it's comparable to an SD feed off Freeview.  I
think it would improve with better picture quality.

Duncan