[mythtvnz] Commercial Flagging

Ross Williamson ross at inertia.net.nz
Thu Aug 18 05:03:52 BST 2011

> There has been talk on the mythtvusers list in the last 6 months (?)
> about improved messages for UK transmissions which seem to have
> similar problems, I think audio was part of the detection method.

Thanks Nick. I have located the method in question, located here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silence-detect.sh

It's a hack (obviously) that checks for 120ms of silence anywhere in
the audio stream. The hack could be used for other methods of audio
detection though. I wonder if some software could be used to detect
periods of highly compressed audio (in the sound sense, not in the data
sense) and work in a similar way.

Ross