[mythtvnz] HD Video jerky...

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 03:18:39 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 09:12, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>wrote:

> I find the plethora of PCI buses frustratingly confusing.  But the image
> of the card at
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=854467&CatId=319#
> and the others have very different buses from the one on my motherboard.
>
> I expect that the "older" PCI slot is a PCI x 16.  But I am just going
> by the picture.  The card's connector is in four sections.  The PCI bus
> in my machine is in two.

The first section of the connector on that card is not part of the PCI
connector. The reason the PCI connector is in 3 sections on the card is
because the card supports both 3.3v and 5v operation. The arrangement of the
two sections of the connector on the motherboard determines which voltage is
used. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PCI_Keying.png

One of my frustrations with PCI is manufacturers are not precise about
> *which* PCI slot they mean.

They generally are pretty precise. PCI means PCI, PCIe means PCI Express.
Any mention of x1, x4, x16 etc means PCI Express. If in doubt go to the
manufacturers page, for the card above:
http://www3.pny.com/8400-GS-512MB-D3-PCI-P3064C269.aspx.

Cheers,