[mythtvnz] HD Video jerky...

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 00:46:42 BST 2011

Using all the good people's help here I think my solution is:

A dx6100 Compaq P4 that I can get delivered for $75

A Gigabyte 8400GS 512M PCI-E Video Card that I can get for $52 plus
shipping
(http://einfo.co.nz/shop/gigabyte-8400gs-512m-pcie-video-card-dvi-p-20902.html
thanks to pricespy)

That video card has DVI connector thingi that I can connect to my TV
(using VGA input on TV currently, not very satisfactory)

Have I a reasonable chance of compatibility?  The card is on
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Supported_Cards as supported for VGA at
least.

cheers
Worik

> 1. Upgrade motherboard, if your proprietary dell computer will allow that.
No.  As an aside.  That is the weakness of Dells.  The box is a complete
unit.  You can replace memory and hard drives, but things like the
mounting of motherboards etcetera is all Dell specific.  The advantage
of Dell is the engineering is very good.  In a Dell everything comes
apart without having to undo screws.  All the cables are the correct
length.  Etcetera.   I am not sure I would by one new (perhaps a
laptop), but my second hand Dell was a great bargain.  I have had it for
years and it has purred away in the corner happily without missing a beat.

> 2. whole new computer, in which case revo may be your cheapest option
> (I assume all along that this is a frontend only).
Displaying ignorance here, what do you mean by "revo".

cheers
Worik

--
The hippies were right