[mythtvnz] HD Video jerky...

Worik Stanton worik.stanton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 22:12:49 BST 2011

I will need a new computer as my Dell has an older PCI slot
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI) that as far as I can
>> tell will not do.
> Only if you say so - and want to pay the extra lucre...
>
>> But it looks as if I need a PCIe x16 slot for the following cars.  Is
>> that correct?
> No
>
>>> Any of these would probably work, even though we still don't know your
>>> motherboard...
> Read the preceeding sentence (and post) again!
>
> The links I gave you are all advertised as the "older" pci slot, so
> those cards should work in your "older" Dell.  (Unless they have
> misrepresented the advert which can happen...however some googling
> should sort that out pretty quickly.)

I find the plethora of PCI buses frustratingly confusing.  But the image
of the card at
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=854467&CatId=319#
and the others have very different buses from the one on my motherboard.

I expect that the "older" PCI slot is a PCI x 16.  But I am just going
by the picture.  The card's connector is in four sections.  The PCI bus
in my machine is in two.

One of my frustrations with PCI is manufacturers are not precise about
*which* PCI slot they mean.

> HTH

The hippies were right