[mythtvnz] New silent Nvidia card / USB DVB-S tuner

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Sep 15 10:10:57 BST 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:18:30 +1200, you wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM, stuart <stugo at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>  On 9/11/2010 4:19 PM, stuart wrote:
>> >  I am running a Asus gt 220 bravo that you a looking at and nova t 500
>> > for hd on a 2 gig dual core with 2gig of ram with no problems on the
>> > mythbuntu.
>> > Stu
>>

>I have ordered that card too and will report back. The only problem I
>envisage is fitting it in my small form factor case. If it doesn't fit you
>will probably see it for sale here soon...
>
>The GST rise isn't that much. Something that used to cost $112.50 will then
>cost $115.
>
>The percentage increase is only 2.222 % . On this card, my cost was
>something like $164. With the GST increase it will be $167.65. The
>difference doesn't even buy a pint of beer.
>
>Then again i suppose that's half the annual rate of inflation...

I had to reconsider my plans.  When I checked the back of my MythTV
box, it turned out that any video card that takes up two slots would
overlap one of my two PCI slots, not my PCIe x 1 slot.  Since I am
using both PCI slots (Nova TD-500 for Freeview and PVR-500 for Sky), I
need a 1 slot video card.  Or two more USB DVB-T tuners.  Or a PCIe
dual DVB-T card (preferably also with DVB-S too).  There is a one slot
Asus GT 240 card that is supposed to be quite quiet, despite having a
fan, but I need to do more research on that.

BTW The GST may only be a 2.2% increase, but I have paid my rates in
advance and bought a new camera and am also planning on two more 2
Tbyte drives, so it all adds up to quite a reasonable saving on that
much money.