[mythtvnz] New silent Nvidia card / USB DVB-S tuner

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Sep 11 09:38:56 BST 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:13:25 +1200, you wrote:

>On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 17:11 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Before the GST goes up next month, I thought it was about time to
>> upgrade the video card in my MythTV box.  It currently has an Nvidia
>> 8400GS silent card, which is OK but does not do the best deinterlace
>> modes.  I have found this:
>>
>>   http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA22908
>>
>> which is a silent GT220 card.  So, is a GT220 all that is needed for
>> the highest interlace modes in MythTV?  Does anyone have any other
>> suggestions?
>>
>> And since the silent GT220 cards all need two slots, it looks like I
>> will need to get a USB DVB-S (or preferably DVB-S2) tuner.  So far I
>> have not found any in NZ that are supported - the old Hauppauge DVB-S
>> one seems to have gone out of production.  Any suggestions?
>>
>Can only confirm that the GT240 works very well, the improvement over a
>9400GT was much greater than expected.
>Avoid the GT210 as has very bad reviews for de-interlacing &
>scaling/sharpening artefacts but this is not the same GPU as used in
>GT220.
>
>Using feature set C options has appeared to increase A/V sync offset
>from close to 0ms (9400GT) to about 60-100ms. Maybe a default offset can
>be configured ?
>
>You could make up custom heatsink to fit your PC case.
>Could use a VGA boiler tube arrangement with almost no airflow if you
>have the luxury of room or to move the heatsink away from the videocard.
>The GT220 TDP 58 W vs. GT 240 TDP 70W & the price difference is small.

My research so far seems to say that a GT240 offers nothing over a
GT220 for MythTV.  But I have only found second hand references to
that, rather than the original discussions about it.  The GT220 is
certainly listed as supporting all the interlace modes:

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Vdpau

And feature set C.