[mythtvnz] New silent Nvidia card / USB DVB-S tuner

Brett mythicalbeast at slingshot.co.nz
Fri Sep 10 21:13:25 BST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 17:11 +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> Before the GST goes up next month, I thought it was about time to
> upgrade the video card in my MythTV box.  It currently has an Nvidia
> 8400GS silent card, which is OK but does not do the best deinterlace
> modes.  I have found this:
>
>   http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA22908
>
> which is a silent GT220 card.  So, is a GT220 all that is needed for
> the highest interlace modes in MythTV?  Does anyone have any other
> suggestions?
>
> And since the silent GT220 cards all need two slots, it looks like I
> will need to get a USB DVB-S (or preferably DVB-S2) tuner.  So far I
> have not found any in NZ that are supported - the old Hauppauge DVB-S
> one seems to have gone out of production.  Any suggestions?

Can only confirm that the GT240 works very well, the improvement over a
9400GT was much greater than expected.
Avoid the GT210 as has very bad reviews for de-interlacing &
scaling/sharpening artefacts but this is not the same GPU as used in
GT220.

Using feature set C options has appeared to increase A/V sync offset
from close to 0ms (9400GT) to about 60-100ms. Maybe a default offset can
be configured ?

You could make up custom heatsink to fit your PC case.
Could use a VGA boiler tube arrangement with almost no airflow if you
have the luxury of room or to move the heatsink away from the videocard.
The GT220 TDP 58 W vs. GT 240 TDP 70W & the price difference is small.