[mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Mon Oct 25 04:49:37 BST 2010

On 25/10/2010, at 3:24 PM, Tortise wrote:

> Interesting.  When I first read your post I didn't think I could help, but I'm not so sure now.  I've noticed my BE has done
> similar, for me about every two weeks.  I asked on IRC and a dev said they were aware of some people having these issues, advised me
> to install apport and said they were waiting for a report to get some clues as to the source.  I installed apport and have had a
> couple of crashes detected however the tool refused to send up the report if there is an update to do, as there was each time....
> (grrr)    So if anyone else is having this problem and can catch the report I expect it will be welcomed!

Cool. I didn't know about apport.  It appears to be installed already, but was not enabled. I've enabled it and will see if it reports anything.

> Also had a complete lockup where all dead....and could only reboot.  I also recall some reference to using gdb, but its a tool I've
> yet to use.  (yeh yeh this is probably my chance!)   Not sure if that helps?

Not really 8)  gdb is way beyond my grasp of linux.

>   My BE is 10.04, 64 bit mythbuntu, and my 8500GT is
> being run by 195.36.24 on that box, which I hardly ever use as a FE.  The last lockup seemed to happen when there was very high LAN
> traffic and a FE recording was paused about the time of the crash, which made me wonder if my CNet CGS-800 switch was up to the job
> or that high LAN traffic is a less likely dev test scenario.

Hmm. I don't think high LAN traffic is involved in my case. We had just a single recording being streamed. Plus I had no issues copying 120GB off the box last weekend, with a sustained 98MB/s via NFS - that blew me away since the old X2 4400+ box managed only 8MB/s using the same cabling & Fedora Core 10 even thought the link speed was 1000Mb/s Full Duplex.

> :~$ uname -m
> x86_64
>
> :~$ cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.32-25-generic (buildd at allspice) (gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #45-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 19:52:42
> UTC 2010
>
> Incidentally I am running and a couple of 500T's (for the other recent post about kernels)  I've not had a crash since updating to
> this kernel, but then I've not had two weeks pass either....
>
> Maybe these comments might help you, as you are lucky enough (!) to have the crashes more often.

I was trying to avoid a restart to see how long the machine would run stably. Since it's just played up I've run the Update Manager and picked up the newer kernel headers, so my setup is now looking similar to yours

:~$ uname -m
x86_64

:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.32-25-server (buildd at allspice) (gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #45-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 20:06:58 UTC 2010

 - Wade