[mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Oct 25 03:24:26 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wade Maxfield" <mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz>
To: <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 11:04 PM
Subject: [mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Interesting.  When I first read your post I didn't think I could help, but I'm not so sure now.  I've noticed my BE has done
similar, for me about every two weeks.  I asked on IRC and a dev said they were aware of some people having these issues, advised me
to install apport and said they were waiting for a report to get some clues as to the source.  I installed apport and have had a
couple of crashes detected however the tool refused to send up the report if there is an update to do, as there was each time....
(grrr)    So if anyone else is having this problem and can catch the report I expect it will be welcomed!

Also had a complete lockup where all dead....and could only reboot.  I also recall some reference to using gdb, but its a tool I've
yet to use.  (yeh yeh this is probably my chance!)   Not sure if that helps?   My BE is 10.04, 64 bit mythbuntu, and my 8500GT is
being run by 195.36.24 on that box, which I hardly ever use as a FE.  The last lockup seemed to happen when there was very high LAN
traffic and a FE recording was paused about the time of the crash, which made me wonder if my CNet CGS-800 switch was up to the job
or that high LAN traffic is a less likely dev test scenario.

:~$ uname -m
x86_64

:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.32-25-generic (buildd at allspice) (gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #45-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 19:52:42
UTC 2010

Incidentally I am running and a couple of 500T's (for the other recent post about kernels)  I've not had a crash since updating to
this kernel, but then I've not had two weeks pass either....

Maybe these comments might help you, as you are lucky enough (!) to have the crashes more often.