[mythtvnz] Android phones as remotes

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:23:40 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Ross and Jemima Knudsen
<ross.jemima at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> Lirc can listen to a network port for 'IR' commands.  I thought this
> might be the best solution to my delay issues as there shouldn't be any
> connection requirements as the sender would just send the commands
> without checking if the other end is listening or no
>
> Mythweb is broken on my machine at the moment, Its waiting for a fresh
> install to repair whatever conflict broke it.  But yes that is a good
> suggestion.
>
> Phone is Samsung Galaxy S, I don't think it turns off the wifi when the
> screen blanks as I can still ping it over wifi when it has and get email
> notifications.
>
> Mythdroid looks quite good.  After a little playing around I seem to
> have it mostly working.  Only issue is I can't get the Videos option to
> work but it may be a program bug, have filed a report.
>
> Jonathan's comments about the speed that he reconnects on iOS4 is
> interesting, it may indicate that there is a problem with my mythbox
> rather than the phone/mythmote.
>
> Have filed a question to the mythmote devs to see if the kind of delay
> is typical.  Also forgot to add that it takes the same amount of time to
> connect when the app is started vs waking from standby.  In the first
> case wifi would be active.

I haven't used mythdroid but I tried mythmote last night and it was
very successful for watching recorded TV and general navigation, until
my battery went flat.

Was a bit of a fag sometimes having to switch from the "navigation"
tab to the "media" tab. But overall it worked well and with no lag at
all.