[mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Wed Oct 13 04:51:32 BST 2010

On 13/10/2010, at 4:20 PM, Barry Clearwater wrote:

>  You say smart shows no errors, did it say how hot the drives had got?

The case I have (Antec P183) is well ventilated with 2 large 120mm fans, plus PSU fan. 1 drive is in the middle of the case (boot drive), the other 2 are in the lower bay and get cooled via the airflow that the PSU draws in (recordings1 & 2).

Boot drive shows current temp as 26° with lifetime min/max as 21/28
recordings1 shows current temp as 32° with lifetime min/max as 25/35
recordings2 shows current temp as 29° with lifetime min/max as 23/30

so they all seem quite reasonable for HDDs.

> The gui disk managment utility gives good smart tools reports, you can see the drive temp. but just in passing, I note you have 3 hard drives.

I've got the gnome panel showing the HDD temps as well as the CPU temps, useful for the odd time I 'm using the desktop rather than in the Myth frontend.  But unfortunately when it locks up I have no way of getting to see them. 8(

> We have a server that did random lock ups and I replaced every single item of hardware within (January this year), untill the whole thing was a new system apart from ubuntu 8.04.4 OS.
> I ended up modding the case slightly to put a big 120mm fan right in front of the bank of 4 hard drives to keep them cool. Problem solved. It never skipped a beat since then. I'd spent hours before then, sweated over restoring databases that had corrupted in the reboots/lockups or segfaults (I can't really remember which errors) and a quick replacement of the MB/CPU/RAM confirmed it wasn't them. (I kept the new dual core setup, only cost me about $380 all up) - Had already put a big new PS in.
>
> Lesson learned: Extraction of the heat was not enough, CPU core temp did not tell the whole story. Cool the drives.
>
> Barry Clearwater

Do you know what temps your drives reached?

 - Wade