[mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Solor Vox solorvox at epic.geek.nz
Tue Oct 12 21:22:52 BST 2010

On Wed, October 13, 2010 01:31, Wade Maxfield wrote:
> Ok. Running on old PSU and the machine locked up.  Turned on the TV and
> GDM wasn't running anymore, but the console was visible.  It basically
> showed the messages from just before the gnome login screen appeared when
> I booted the machine yesterday. I also had a PS2 keyboard connected and
> the Caps Lock & Scroll Lock LEDs were blinking. The machine didn't respond
> to any keyboard inputs. From a bit of googling the blinking LEDs seem to
> indicate a kernel panic.
>
> There are no messages in kern.log or syslog around this time, pretty much
> the same as the logs I posted earlier.
>
> The machine was recording off a DVB-S card and a PVR card, while streaming
> a single SD file to a remote frontend, so nothing CPU intensive. Heat
> doesn't look to be a factor (based on temps from running cpuburn). memtest
> didn't report any errors when it was run overnight (but that was a few
> weeks ago now), so RAM looks to be alright.
>
> I'm yet to run seatools so I'll do that in the morning.
>
> Other than that, where to next?
>
>  -- Wade

Well, if you had two cards in use at the same time, it may be a IRQ
conflict.  Check /proc/interrupts and see if both the PVR and DVB-S cards
are on different channels.  Might be worth trying to move one of the cards
to a different slot.

Are the tuner cards new?  And did you have blinking keyboard indicators
before swapping PSU?

sV