[mythtvnz] Pointers on how to track down machine lockup

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Tue Oct 12 13:31:26 BST 2010

On 11/10/2010, at 4:38 PM, Wade Maxfield wrote:

>> If you have another PSU on hand, that would be the next best thing to
>> check.
>
> I do have the 430W supply from the just retired backend.  It should be enough to cover the requirements of the new machine, since the old one ran the same cards & 5 HDs.
>
> There was a break in the recording schedule  at lunch, so I've just swapped that in and will see how that goes over the next week. It's about 4 years old and at idle the machine now registers as using 134W (up from 122W that it used with the new PSU).

Ok. Running on old PSU and the machine locked up.  Turned on the TV and GDM wasn't running anymore, but the console was visible.  It basically showed the messages from just before the gnome login screen appeared when I booted the machine yesterday. I also had a PS2 keyboard connected and the Caps Lock & Scroll Lock LEDs were blinking. The machine didn't respond to any keyboard inputs. From a bit of googling the blinking LEDs seem to indicate a kernel panic.

There are no messages in kern.log or syslog around this time, pretty much the same as the logs I posted earlier.

The machine was recording off a DVB-S card and a PVR card, while streaming a single SD file to a remote frontend, so nothing CPU intensive. Heat doesn't look to be a factor (based on temps from running cpuburn). memtest didn't report any errors when it was run overnight (but that was a few weeks ago now), so RAM looks to be alright.

I'm yet to run seatools so I'll do that in the morning.

Other than that, where to next?

 -- Wade